Thursday, December 12, 2013

modified wardrobe: sequin elbow patches

I can't claim this idea as my own cause I saw it on pinterest
but I'm totally into big sweaters and elbow patches right now
and I'm loving a touch of sequins for the holidays.

So I grabbed this sweater from the men's section in a thrift store for $5.
I wanted it long with plenty of room for my bump,
plus the mens section has a larger selection of nicer, solid colored sweaters.


After washing it (and obviously skipping the ironing) I went to work making it fit me.
I turned it inside out and pinned it how I wanted it to fit.
I put in new side seams and made the sleeves skinnier.
The sleeves were still too long so I cut off the cuffs and extra fabric
then reattached the cuffs at the right length.
Adjusting the sweater to fit probably took the most time!


I found this pretty sequin tank on sale at old navy 
and it was the exact pale blush/ivory color of the sweater.


I sketched out a pattern on paper and then used it to cut out the patches.
Then I tried on the sweater and pinned them exactly where I wanted them.
It took a few tries to get them just right.


Then I hand stitched them on and walla!


I wore this sweater with my burgundy cords for thanksgiving
and I also think it would be super cute with black faux leather leggings!

1 comment:

Gwen, The Makerista said...

I just pinned some like this! Thanks for showing a step by step…I really want to try!